Budget 2018 announced changes to Property Transfer Tax that come into effect on February 21, 2018, including:
- Property transfer tax rate on the value of residential properties above $3 million increased.
- Additional property transfer tax rate increased and area expanded.
- The Property Transfer Tax Act is amended to enhance administration and information sharing.
- The limitation period for property transfer tax assessments is extended to six years.
- Additional information is collected on property transfer tax returns, including tax identification numbers for individuals using bare trusts.
- An administrative monetary penalty for non-compliance is introduced.
- The general anti-avoidance rule is extended to the entire Act.
- Access to additional information on property transactions, including information in a multiple listing service database, is enabled.
You can find information about these changes at gov.bc.ca/propertytransfertax.
Please contact Philip or Sandra if you have any questions or would simply like to discuss the impact of these changes.